Saturday, May 8, 2010

What a week!

Things have been crazy at the Heflin house! It all started last Sunday night when Austin began vomiting. He continued to do so for 17 hours straight into Monday night. I would not be surprised if my washing machine breaks down due to how many loads of sheets and towels I had to wash. Tuesday, he continuously ran fever all day. Wednesday, it was back to vomiting with fever. During these 3 days I was in communication with the doctor who said the stomach virus would pass. But by Wednesday she was worried about dehydration. I took him in and the they tried to administer an IV twice which didn't take. That was extremely stressful and sad to witness. Austin kept saying, "No pokeies, no pokies!" "I don't want the pokey medicine!" The doc sent me home with instructions of no food, just gallons of pedialyte. On Thursday he had to drink 24 more ounces of pedialyte by 1:00 before we went back to try the IV again. This was very challenging because he didn't understand why he couldn't eat anything. He of course freaked out when he learned that they were going to try the IV again. I have never seen him so upset or scared. While they were putting the IV in and he was screaming, he turned both of his legs to one side and yelled, "Mommy, cover my legs so they don't put the pokey medicine in my legs too!" 2 hours later, the fluids were in and he seemed to be better. Friday he was so very exhausted and lethargic. I could not wait to get my little boy back. It was like he was a different person. He is very serious and sarcastic when he is sick. It is Saturday now and he is playing and back to his silly self.

It was a very physically and emotionally draining week for all. During this time I also had a doctor appointment for baby Heflin. He is doing great; moving ALL the time and seems to have the hiccups every time I drink something. Only 8 weeks (or less) until he arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment