Monday, April 11, 2011

To my Big Boy

Austin,

Five years ago, (three weeks early) at 7:30 am on a Monday, you decided that you were ready grace this world. Well...twelve hours later you were actually ready. You have been making us laugh, smile and proud ever since.

You woke up early on your fifth birthday so very excited. You could not wait to celebrate with your friends. As we were getting ready for the day, you told me that since you are five, you can now do what ever you want. I was quick to say, "We’ll see." When you went to brush your teeth, you said that you could reach things easier like the faucet and the light switch since you were bigger. You LOVE being five!

I was worried about your five year old check up because it would mean that you would need "pokies". (You call shots, "pokies" and I hope you never stop). The doctor told me however that you don't need anymore until you turn eleven. This was the best news that we've heard in a while and was a great birthday present!

Your favorite things right now are any kind of fruit and any kind of meat. If I asked you though, you'd say your favorite thing to eat is something silly like a poo-poo sandwich and laugh hysterically (I hope you never stop that either - the laughing part). So far, at five years old, I have heard you say that you want to be a Marine, a teacher or a train conductor when you grow up. You are set on going to college and constantly ask when you can come home from college and visit. My answer is always, "Whenever and as often as you want." Let's just get through kindergarten first.

Speaking of kindergarten, this is the big year. In a few short months, you will be in elementary school. It makes my stomach hurt thinking about it. I know you will love school. You desperately want to learn new things and to be big. I wish you would slow down stay five.

Your Dad always says that if he wrote a book, it would be titled "The Four-Year-Old Salesman." You can literally talk your way out of any situation or at least try.  This was our conversation on the way home from school today...
A: "Mom, what are we going to do when I get too many toys?"
E: "We will give them to kids that don't have any toys."
A: "Yeah, we can give them the broken ones."
E: "That's not nice.  Would you want someone to give you broken toys?"
A: "Well...sure, if I got a broken toy, I would use my imagine to make it in to something else.  Like, if you gave me a sock, I would turn it into a sock puppet and have a puppet show.  Those kids just have to use their imagine too."
This is the kind of stuff your Dad is talking about.  You always make a good point and stump us pretty often.

You are the BEST big brother. Jackson adores you. Only you can make him smile or laugh just by walking in the room. You are already so protective of him and help out so much. Everyone keeps telling me to wait and you guys will want to hurt each other some day but something tells me that you will always be a great big brother.

I love you buddy and I am so proud and honored to be your Mommy. Thank you for being completly awesome.  I hope your fifth year is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. can you please pass the tissues? geez...you get me every time. So beautiful, so sweet, and so blessed. I love you and Austin is so lucky to have a mommy like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really cool. love reading your entries. working on my writing but its got a looong way to go....

    ReplyDelete